Discover what your strengths and weaknesses are, so that you can achieve fast and targeted successes in sports. We show you how to find out.
Strengths and weaknesses: why this distribution?
If you don’t just want to exercise and get fitter, but have the ambition to be successful in what you do, it is helpful if you know your own strengths and weaknesses . Basically, if you work hard enough on yourself, you can make almost any trait your strength.
However, everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. It is genetically determined that these differ from person to person. If you are very tall, you have a definite advantage in sports like basketball or shot put, because your height alone will probably make you better than the rest.
Important : if you have little or no ambition, you will not achieve great success despite your strengths.
How to find your strengths and weaknesses
The best way to find out what your strengths and weaknesses are is to think about what you were good at in school . Was there a particular part of the gym class in which you performed above average ?
List of strengths and weaknesses
Make a list and write down your sports strengths and weaknesses. Ask also your friends what they see as your strengths and weaknesses. You may find out things about yourself that you wouldn’t have thought of yourself.
Do you have absolutely no idea what your strengths could be? Here are a few examples of strengths and weaknesses:
- If you are quite short and slim, but have good body control , gymnastics can be one of your strengths.
- Are you tall and do you have a lot of strength , while you never actually train for it? Then strength sports such as strongman competitions and weight lifting could be your cup of tea.
- Or do you inexplicably have tremendous stamina without ever doing anything for it? Then running , cycling or swimming is perfect for you.
- On the other hand , if you are particularly flexible , sports such as yoga or different dance styles may be more your strong point.
If you still have no idea where your personal strengths and weaknesses lie, a professional coach or personal trainer can help you discover them.
Strengths or weaknesses: what do I focus on?
At first it sounds good to your personal weaknesses to work to improve your performance. But in practice it turns out that this focus often only leads to mediocre results .
That is why many coaches and personal trainers now take the following approach: “Those who work on their strengths can achieve exceptional performances . Those who only improve their weaknesses will at best become mediocre ”.
Our tip : Focus two-thirds of your training on your strengths and one-third on your weaknesses to improve both your strengths and weaknesses.
- The division into strengths and weaknesses is useful if you have the ambition to achieve top performances in your sport.
- Think about what you were always good at without too much training.
- Also ask friends and family or find a personal trainer to discover your strengths and weaknesses.
- Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses.
- Focus especially on your strengths to achieve peak performance.